Jonah was a prophet of God, but when God instructed him to go to Nineveh, Jonah fled in the opposite direction. Jonah eventually became willing to obey God's instructions, and he did preach to Nineveh.
This page is printer friendly, so you can print it out and take it with you or give it to others so they can test their Bible knowledge. But if you're just browsing the web, you can take this quiz right now...
Free Online Bible Quiz on Jonah and the Big Fish
1) Yahweh told Jonah son of Amittai to go to which city?
2) Instead of going where Yahweh told him to go, where did Jonah flee toward instead?
3) What happened at sea when Jonah was disobeying Yahweh's instruction?
4) What was Jonah doing while the storm beat against the ship?
5) When the sailors cast lots to see who was responsible for the storm, to whom did the lot fall?
6) What did Jonah tell the sailors to do in order to calm the storm?
7) What swallowed Jonah in the sea?
8) For how long was Jonah in the belly of the fish?
9) Jonah prayed to Yahweh and then what did the fish do?
10) When Yahweh instructed Jonah a second time to go to Nineveh, how did Jonah respond this time?
11) Jonah preached that Nineveh would be overthrown in how many days?
12) When Nineveh repented and turned to God, how did God respond?
13) How did Jonah respond when God decided not to destroy Nineveh after all?
14) Jonah sat outside the city, and what did Yahweh provide to shade Jonah?
15) When a worm chewed the vine, and the sun and wind beat upon Jonah, what did Jonah say?
16) Yahweh justified his concern for Nineveh, which had how many people in it?
Bible references taken from the World English Bible (WEB), which is in the public domain.
Now that you've taken a quiz about Jonah and the big fish, you may enjoy watching this video performance of Jonah by Piercing Word ministries. By the way, if you ever get a chance to watch Piercing Word perform live, seize the opportunity! They professionally present the Scriptures word for word in an engaging performance.
1) c."Now Yahweh’s word came to Jonah the son of Amittai, saying, 'Arise, go to Nineveh...'" Jonah 1:1-2 (WEB)
2) b."But Jonah rose up to flee to Tarshish from the presence of Yahweh." Jonah 1:3 (WEB)
3) c."But Yahweh sent out a great wind on the sea, and there was a mighty storm on the sea, so that the ship was likely to break up." Jonah 1:4 (WEB)
4) a."But Jonah had gone down into the innermost parts of the ship, and he was laying down, and was fast asleep." Jonah 1:5 (WEB)
5) b."So they cast lots, and the lot fell on Jonah." Jonah 1:7 (WEB)
6) d."[Jonah] said to them, 'Take me up, and throw me into the sea. Then the sea will be calm for you...'" Jonah 1:12 (WEB)
7) c."Yahweh prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah." Jonah 1:17 (WEB)
8) c."Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights." Jonah 1:17 (WEB)
9) d."Yahweh spoke to the fish, and it vomited out Jonah on the dry land." Jonah 2:10 (WEB)
10) b."So Jonah arose, and went to Nineveh, according to Yahweh's word." Jonah 3:3 (WEB)
11) a."[Jonah] said, 'In forty days, Nineveh will be overthrown!'" Jonah 3:4
12) c."God saw their works... God relented of the disaster which he said he would do to them, and he didn’t do it." Jonah 3:10 (WEB)
13) a."But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry. He prayed to Yahweh, and said, '...Yahweh, take, I beg you, my life from me...'" Jonah 4:1-3 (WEB)
14) d."Yahweh God prepared a vine, and made it to come up over Jonah, that it might be a shade over his head..." Jonah 4:6 (WEB)
15) b."[Jonah] said, 'It is better for me to die than to live.'" Jonah 4:8 (WEB)
16) c."Shouldn't I be concerned for Nineveh, that great city, in which are more than one hundred twenty thousand persons...?" Jonah 4:11 (WEB)
About The AuthorJonathan Hostetler lives in southern Pennsylvania. He grew up in a strong Christian family, dedicated his life completely to Jesus at the age of 9, experienced a spiritual breakthrough at the age of 15, and is now in his mid twenties, joyfully serving Yahweh and sharing Yahweh's message of salvation and hope both on the internet and in person.